Steps Towards Restoring Education in Lebanon: The Cost of Education
The Centre for Lebanese Studies invites you to a series of dialogues on the future of the educational sector in Lebanon.
The first meeting is titled:
"Steps Towards Restoring Education in Lebanon: The Cost of Education"
*The event will be in Arabic with simultaneous English translation
April 5, 2023 at 11:00 am – 02:00pm in Crowne Plaza Hotel, Beirut / online (zoom)
This event is hybrid with limited places.
To attend in person please register here.
To attend online please register here.
As part of our commitment to working towards quality education for everyone in Lebanon, and amid the crisis that has severely damaged the country’s education sector, the Centre for Lebanese Studies is launching a series of dialogues that bring together teachers, parents, policymakers, and researchers committed to finding the best ways for recovering the education sector.
We believe that communication and collaboration are vital at this important juncture. At a time when there is little communication or trust between the different actors in the education sector, we believe that creating a space of dialogue is crucial.
We seek to establish a relation of trust between the various actors committed to education in the country and of needed collaboration if the sector is to be saved.
Through the discussions we want to find solutions to the following issues:
- Resuming the academic year amid the current economic crisis?
- Protecting and support the teaching task force
- Preparing for the 2023-2024 academic year to ensure students schooling is not interrupted for the 5th year.
- Assessing the impact of interrupted schools over the past 4 years on students' academic achievements.
- Developing a recovery plan that supports students and teachers and help rebuild confidence in the Lebanese educational system.
- Deploying research evidence to help put an end to the crisis and plan for recovery
- Developing mechanisms for transparent reporting and accountability of expenditure of aid and public funding on education.
To achieve this, we share the report "Steps Towards Restoring Education in Lebanon: The Cost of Education" on government and community spending on education, which presents one of the biggest obstacles on education amid the most severe economic crisis that Lebanon has experienced.
The first dialogue will focus on providing answers to the following questions:
- What is needed to have a full schooling year in Lebanon?
- What is the cost for everyone to have a full academic year in Lebanon?
- How do we achieve the incentives for students and teachers to return to education?
We invite you to join this initiative for the benefit of all the students, teachers, and policy makers working towards an end of the education crisis in Lebanon.
Your presence is crucial to establishing much-needed trust and communication and we remain at your disposal for any questions, clarifications, or comments.