Position: Junior Research Assistant
Time Frame of Assignment: 1 August 2019 to 31 July 2020
Type of Work: Full time
Salary: USD 1,600 per month
The Centre for Lebanese Studies (CLS) is conducting a comparative longitudinal study of the refugee education provisions (policies, programs and practices) in relation to the types of refugee settlement policies offered in four countries: Lebanon, Austria, Australia and Turkey. This study examines the development and progression of Arabic-speaking refugee children enrolled in formal schools in both, middle and secondary levels over a five-year period starting from 2018 till 2023.
The study aims to investigate and address the following questions:
- What are the various existing paradigms of education provisions (policies, programs and practices), for refugees in the selected destination countries offering short-, medium- and long-term settlement?
- To what extent have the various education provisions demonstrated the progression (or regression) of refugee education?
CLS is recruiting a junior researcher to work in its Beirut office to support with data collection and analysis for this study. The incumbent will work closely with other project staff to support a range of research related tasks as described below.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
- Plan and coordinate research activities in close coordination with other project staff
- Analyze and interpret qualitative and quantitative data
- Support fieldwork and data collection. Tasks will include conducting interviews and administering surveys face to face and in person with a range of stakeholders (policy makers, teachers, parents and students)
- Undertake data cleaning and data preparation including transcribing interviews and conducting data entry tasks
- Draft reports and papers of academic standard
- Support the organization of meetings and conferences as needed
- Work within a strict framework of research ethics and confidentiality.
The incumbent will be based in CLS’ office in Beirut and will report to the Senior Researcher and Programme Manager on the above listed tasks.
Skills and Competencies
- Masters’ degree in social science field
- 2 to 5 years’ experience in research
- Dynamic attitude, multitasking skills and team player
- Experience working with qualitative and quantitative data
- Experience working with statistical software (SPSS or Stata)
- Experience working across the different levels of the research process (from data collection, to data analysis and writing up research results)
- Fluency in word processing, spreadsheets, and internet technology.
- Proven interest in working on issues related to forced migration and social policy within the Lebanese context
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills in Arabic and English
- Attention to detail and high professionalism.
Interested researchers are required to send their curriculum vitae with the contact details of two references as well as a cover letter describing their motivations and relevance of their experience for this post to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday June 28th, 2018. Please write in the subject line your full name and the reference: Research Assistant (Spencer).